Leogane: The Epicenter of Mom's Experience

Leogane: The Epicenter of Mom's Experience

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day Three: Mwen vle ede; Ki jan mwen ede?

Today's title is Creole for, I want to help, how can I help.
Mom called today and I will readily share that I missed her call and could kick myself. I want to hear her voice because her phone voice sounds so cool, calm, collected and factual, and I know that she will give me her LeeMom voice when she hears something other than my answering machine. Here is what she said on the machine, along with the email messages that other families, and Jodel, the coordinator of this trip, shared:

The team that Mom is on, which needs some type of flashy name in my opinion, arrived in Leogane, Haiti last night after dark. They ate spaghetti, and met Jodel's parents, who live and work as doctors in Haiti. The team then retired and slept on the floor inside of a hospital which has, at this point, withstood over 60 aftershocks. In the middle of the night, a tarantula greeted a sleeping team member, and I am imagining that the whole team was touched by its straightforward approach. What a welcoming committee!

The team set up an operating room and will be mostly providing orthopedic services to amputees, fractures, bone breaks. The people of Leogane are sleeping outside, despite any buildings which remain standing, and the reports of team member, Ora, are that the town is mostly flattened. For a satellite view of before and after shots of buildings in nearby Port-Au-Prince, visit: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/01/14/world/20100114-haiti-imagery.html

Jodel reports that the team is upbeat, hydrated and fed. Their work has begun, and they are taking advantage of their opportunity to ask, Mwen vle ede; Ki jan mwen ede?

No comments:

Post a Comment